How to Play Fortnite? | Fortnite Battle Royale Guide
After the groundbreaking success of PUBG among both casual and core gamers, a brand new subgenre called Battle Royale appeared on the gaming scene and started gaining robust market traction. Today this disruptive trend has fathered a complementary survival mode, which more and more developers are about to equip their games with. Despite the uncertain attempts of such games like Minecraft and GTA V to implement Battle Royale techniques into their gameplay, Fortnite was the first who managed to hit the target.
On September 26, 2017 Epic Games launched a free-to-play Battle Royale game mode to add value to its Fortnite title and reap the benefits of this new trend. It turned out to be the right decision, since Fortnite Battle Royale attracted a far larger audience and increased its retention rates. According to Q1 2018 stats, the title incentivized a churn of players from other games. For instance, 29.7% of PUBG fans in the USA who quit playing the game switched over to Fortnite Battle Royale instead. As of March 2018, Fortnite holds its ground on the top of the game charts alongside League of Legends and PUBG. In this article we will go over the main Fortnite Battle Royale tips and tricks to help you feel more comfortable while playing the game.
To begin with, let’s hit the high spots that Fortnite Battle Royale features for both PUBG runaways and complete novices:
- Battle Royale is a new last-man-standing PvP game mode, based on the Fortnite setting.
- The game is a standalone and absolutely free to play with no strings attached.
- You may also purchase a premium version to enjoy in-game XP boosts and some other cosmetic stuff.
- You are one of 100 players pitted against each other with only one objective – to outlast all the rest.
- As of now, just a single map with several locations is available.
- You are free to choose between a single player mode or get together with up to 3 friends in a co-op mode.
- Once you get parachuted out of the flying bus, you are easy prey for other players, so do your best to gear up ASAP by collecting greater weapons and more medikits.
- Gather resources to build sturdy fortifications protecting from enemy attacks.
- Just as in PUBG, there is a shrinking circle of playable area, called the Storm Eye. The rule of thumb is pure and simple: follow the Eye or die.
- Except the gliders you start off with, there are no vehicles for a ride yet, unlike you used to do in PUBG.
- Devoted fans should keep tabs on special weekly events to participate in and get rewards.
- Use the Item Shop, a store introduced in Patch 1.8, to purchase skins with an in-game currency V-bucks and customize your outfit.
All the Shop’s items are purely cosmetic and give you no competitive advantage.
With this in mind, let’s move further into our Fortnite Battle Royale guide.
Some Quick Fortnite Tips and Tricks
Here is a breakdown of some key things you should bear in mind when you start playing Fortnite Battle Royale:
- Try hard to find as many collectibles as possible. You need a lot of resources to prevail, especially on the early stages.
- The same goes for weapons. Enlarge your roster with lethal assault and sniper rifles along with flawless shotgun if you really want to outlive your enemies.
- Accurate shooting gains better results, so take your time before entering into fire for effect.
- Never push forward to loot your killed enemy, since it makes you an easy target for his brothers-in-arms.
- Remember about the fully destructible environment of Fortnite Battle Royale, so march on and do not tarry in one place.
Fortnite Battle Royale Requirements
Building Walls and Stairs
Utilizing your skills and resources to affect and alter game surroundings is a unique feature Fortnite Battle Royale boasts. You should master this skill from the very beginning, as it can drastically change the game flow in your favor in the blink of an eye.
There are three types of resources available at the moment:
Collecting these resources and creating bullet-proof shelters is not enough for perfect game results, you should have a tried-and-true strategy. So build up stairs if you need to cut your way and get to a destination point quicker than your opponents. When time is critical, make wooden walls while keeping in mind, however, that walls made of wood are easier to destroy than ones created with stone or metal.
Use materials wisely and with great care, since they are pretty scarce on later game stages.
Starting Location and Field Reconnaissance Hints
Picking your starting point is a crucial step that defines 90% of your further game progress. On the one hand, densely populated areas can provide you with a slew of valuable top-tier stuff. On the other hand, you are way more exposed to get gruesomely killed than locations with lesser populations. Also remember that the number of lootable chests is much higher in heavily populated regions, though the rarity rate is just the same throughout the map.
There are two main map positioning tactics that help you overwhelm more opponents and win the game. Players become extremely vulnerable when the Storm Eye comes into play and the game area starts diminishing. At this very moment you can either wait behind for a little while in order to shoot your enemies in the back, or rush toward the center to fortify your position and have the upper hand in the upcoming standoff.
Make sure you can afford a decent gaming headset to hear your enemies sneak around and twinkling chest sounds.
How to Equip the Right Weapon
As in many other FPSs of this kind, in-game items including weapons fall into several rarity categories and come in the following colors.
What should you know first to get along with your weapon?
- Prefer firearms geared with a scope, and opt for long-range weapons as being more advantageous for shooting from distance.
- Try to find the upper level guns as they have much greater combat characteristics. Stumbling upon a legendary weapon is next to impossible, but if you find one your military power will be unspeakable.
- Do not scrimshank, gather all the ammo you can. Never hang around with your pet weapon short of bullets.
- Switch to another weapon and change your playing style every time you are outnumbered by your enemies, the Storm Eye is downsizing, you haven’t enough health for multi-front attacks or in other cases influencing your game tactics.
The List of Top Collectible Loot
Below is a list comprising the most essential in-game consumables and most powerful weapons. The first ones are badly needed to keep your health level high, whilst the others are just for you to better know the assortment when it comes to picking a weapon of choice.
- Med Kit
- Shield Potions
- Slurp Juice
- Chug Jug
- Launch Pad
Weapons with Greater DPS:
- Bolt Action Sniper
- Pump Shotgun
- Tactical Shotgun
- Tactical SMG
- Rocket Launcher
- Guided Missile
- Impulse Grenade
We hope these Fortnite Battle Royale tips and tricks serve you well for hours of immersive gameplay. Since Epic Games likes to treat its fans with lots of new content.