Dota 2 Ranks & Ranking System (2021)
Since its release in 2011, Dota 2 has gained a large audience all around the world. According to April 2021 Dota 2 stats, 413,785 unique users with completely different dota 2 ranks played on a daily basis on average, with the max topping out at an astonishing 705,534 gamers.
To facilitate such a rapidly growing community, in 2013 Valve introduced a new gaming system that helps Dota 2 players find opponents and teammates based on their skill level – Matchmaking Rating (MMR).
What Is MMR in Dota 2
MMR or Matchmaking Rating in Dota 2 is a system designed for determining the skill rating of each player. The main purpose of MMR is to find and pair equal opponents and teammates for fairplay. The system is designed so as not to let more experienced players team up or stand against players of a lower skill level.
All games in Player vs Player mode fall into two categories:
Unranked Match – casual games that in no way affect the player’s MMR progress.
Unranked games are divided into 10 modes:
- All pick
- Ability Draft
- Single Draft
- All Random
- Random Draft
- Captains Mode
- Captains Draft
- Least Played
- All Random Deathmatch
Ranked match is a kind of game that allows players to boost (or decrease) their MMR Dota value, depending on their results.
Ranked matches boil down to three game modes:
- Ranked All Pick – First, players have to vote for the heroes to get banned; then they take turns picking their own heroes that remain on the list.
- Captains Mode – the captains of each team, one after another, choose and ban heroes from the general list.
- Random Draft – a list of 50 heroes is automatically generated and players take turns picking the hero they like the most.
How to Play Ranked Matches in Dota 2?
Mastering Dota 2 skills are no cakewalk, even for old hands, since you have to realize the overall game mechanics and specifics of playing styles of different heroes. To say nothing of newcomers to the game, who might get embarrassed by the most common gameplay moments.
In 2017, the game developers added some new eligibility restrictions for those who want to play ranked matches.
How to Unlock Ranked Matches in Dota 2?
- Link your smartphone to your Steam account;
- Have 25 matches played in Unranked mode;
- Once you are done with 25 games, the system randomly defines the number of games (from 0 to 100) you have to play before being allowed to queue for ranked matches.
This helps new Dota 2 players learn the in-game mechanics much better and therefore know how to play various heroes with all their unique abilities and playing styles.
How Does MMR Calibration Work
When ranked matches are already unlocked, the system allows a player to play 10 matches to calibrate his account. After the calibration is through, a player is awarded a medal and his MMR is therefore determined.
Tips for players before getting calibrated:
- Pick only heroes that can cause a lot of damage and kill as many enemies as possible.
- Don’t give yourself a hard time, try choosing easy-to-play heroes like Dragon Knight, Wraith King, Viper, etc.
- Winning a match is a very important factor for getting a high MMR value. So follow your teammates’ lead as well-organized teamwork is the key to success in Dota 2.
Dota 2 Ranks
Dota 2 has only eight ranks. Almost all contain five stars, each of which, in turn, contains about 150 MMR. The number of rating points serves as an intermediate value, indicating the level of the gamer within the current rank. Here are all dota ranks:
- Herald ranks: from ∽0 to ∽616 MMR
- Guardian ranks: from ∽770 to ∽1386 MMR
- Crusader ranks: from ∽1540 to ∽2156 MMR
- Archon ranks: from ∽2310 to ∽2926 MMR
- Legend ranks: from ∽3080 to ∽3696 MMR
- Ancient ranks: from ∽3850 to ∽4486 MMR
- Divine ranks: from ∽4620 to ∽5420 MMR
- Immortal ranks: ∽6000+ MMR
The player’s medals are easily seen in your profile, so everyone can know your exact skill level. Moreover, remember that everyone in the game can also see your outward appearance. So don’t hesitate to buy and sell the best Dota 2 skins on DMarket with no fees involved.
On receiving the Divine 5 stars medal, players appear on the Dota 2 Leaderboards and from then on they can claim the Immortal rank medal, which enjoys in-game animation effects.
How to Rank Up in Dota 2?
Here’s a list of tips to follow on how to rank up in Dota 2:
- As practice makes perfect, try to play more;
- Learn all the abilities and talents of every hero;
- Think twice before making a step in the game and plan all your actions and purchases in advance;
- Never forget to save some money for buyback;
- Use your scan ability to detect any enemy hero in the area beforehand;
- Always keep an eye on the Minimap to watch how far your creeps are while pushing the lane. It helps you prevent an imminent enemy attack;
- A lot of useful insights can be learned from watching professional live streams or eSports tournaments such as the recent DreamLeague Leipzig Major;
- Always show respect for your teammates and try to meet them halfway in any situation. Though the opposing team in Dota 2 will have no mercy on you, there’s always a chance to win even in the most seemingly lose-lose situations.
For all Dota 2 universe fans we’ve prepared a list of the best Dota 2 wallpapers to make you feel comfy even when you’re not in the game.