Dota 2 Ranking System: All You Need to Know about it
Since its release in 2011, Dota 2 has gained a large audience all around the world. According to October 2018 Dota 2 stats, 430,000 unique users played on a daily basis on average, with the max topping out at an astonishing 740,000 gamers.
To facilitate such a rapidly growing community, in 2013 Valve introduced a new game system that helps Dota 2 players find opponents and teammates based on their skill level – Matchmaking Rating (MMR).
What Is Dota MMR?
Matchmaking Rating Dota 2 (MMR) is a system designed for determining the skill rating of each player. The main purpose of MMR is to find and pair equal opponents and teammates for fairplay. The system is designed so not to let more experienced players team up or stand against players of a lower skill level.
For those who are just about to dive into the Dota 2 universe, we have prepared the Beginners Dota 2 Guide.
All games in Player vs Player mode fall into two categories:
Ranked match is a kind of game that allows players to boost (or decrease) their MMR Dota value, depending on the results. Ranked matches boil down to three game modes:
- Ranked All Pick – First, players have to vote for the heroes to get banned; then they take turns picking their own heroes remaining on the list.
- Captains Mode – the captains of each team, one after another, choose and ban heroes from the general list.
- Random Draft – a list of 50 heroes is automatically generated and players take turns picking the hero they like most.
Unranked Match – casual games that in no way affect the player’s MMR progress. Unranked games are divided into 10 modes:
- All pick
- Ability Draft
- Single Draft
- All Random
- Random Draft
- Captains Mode
- Captains Draft
- Least Played
- All Random Deathmatch
How to Play Ranked Matches in Dota 2?
Mastering Dota 2 skills is no cakewalk, even for old hands, since you have to realize the overall game mechanics and specifics of playing styles of different heroes. To say nothing of newcomers to the game, who might get embarrassed by the most common gameplay moments.
In 2017, the game developers added some new eligibility restrictions for those who want to play ranked matches.
How to Unlock Ranked Matches in Dota 2?
- Link your smartphone to your Steam account;
- Have 25 matches played in Unranked mode;
- Once you are done with 25 games, the system randomly defines the number of games (from 0 to 100) you have to play before being allowed to queue for ranked matches.
This helps new Dota 2 players learn the in-game mechanics much better and know how to play various heroes with all their unique abilities and playing styles.
How Does MMR Calibration Work?
When ranked matches are already unlocked, the system allows a player to play 10 matches to calibrate his account. After the calibration is through, a player is awarded a medal and his MMR is therefore determined.
Tips for players before getting calibrated:
- Pick only heroes that can cause a lot of damage and kill as many enemies as possible.
- Not to give yourself a hard time, try choosing easy-to-play heroes like Dragon Knight, Wraith King, Viper, etc.
- Winning a match is a very important factor for getting a high MMR value. So follow your teammates’ lead as well-organized teamwork is the key to success in Dota 2.
Dota 2 Ranked Season
Earlier in Dota 2, after passing the calibration stage the player receives a certain MMR value, ranging from 0 to several thousand. And further matches add or take away from 15 up to 50 MMR gaming points every time, depending on the results of a ranked match.
Since November 2017, the player receives a Dota 2 MMR rank medal. All the medals are divided into 8 different Dota ranks to show a player’s skill level.
Types of Dota 2 Ranks:
- Herald (0 to ~720 MMR)
- Guardian (~840 to 1560 MMR)
- Crusader (~1680 to 2400 MMR)
- Archon (~2520 to 3240 MMR)
- Legend (~3360 to 4080 MMR)
- Ancient Ancient (~4200 to 4920 MMR)
- Divine (~5040 to 5760 MMR)
- Immortal (6000+ MMR)
Each rank has its own medals with different number of stars, from 1 to 7. These stars are also used to show the level of players’ skills. One star means the lowest level of a medal, whereas 7 stars indicates its highest value. Every single medal of each rank with a certain number of stars is used to demonstrate the approximate MMR value.
The player’s medals are easily seen in the profile, so everyone can know your exact skill level. Moreover, remember that everyone in the game can see your outward appearance. So do not hesitate to buy and sell the best Dota 2 skins on DMarket with no fee attached.
Although playing both team and solo ranked matches enable you to acquire a rank medal, the latter are more significant.
On receiving the Divine 5 stars medal, players appear on the Dota 2 Leaderboards and from that time can claim the Immortal rank medal, which enjoys in-game animation effects.
By winning ranked matches, a player increases the number of stars and the rank of his medal throughout the season. Thankfully, to lower your medal rank is not quite possible.
Divine rank medals can only be obtained through solo ranked matches.
Each player receives a special emoji whenever he gets a new rank.
Here’s a list of tips to follow on how you can improve your Dota 2 ranks:
- As practice makes perfect, try to play more;
- Learn all the abilities and talents of every hero;
- Think twice before making a step in the game and plan all your actions and purchases in advance;
- Never forget to save some money for buyback;
- Use your scan ability to detect any enemy hero in the area beforehand;
- Always keep an eye on the Minimap to watch how far your creeps are while pushing the lane. It helps you prevent an imminent enemy attack;
- A lot of useful insights can be learned from watching professional live streams or eSports tournaments such as the recent The Kuala Lumpur Major;
- Always show respect for your teammates and try to meet them halfway in any situation. Though the opposing team in Dota 2 have no mercy on you, there’s always a chance to win even in the most seemingly lose-lose situations.
For all Dota 2 universe fans we’ve prepared a list of the best Dota 2 wallpapers to make you feel comfy even when you’re not in the game.
Increase your MMR and enjoy playing Dota 2. And what’s most important, do not forget that this is just a game.