Dota 2 Ranking System - How to Rank Up in Dota 2?
Since its release in 2011, Dota 2 has gained a large audience all around the world. According to January 2020 Dota 2 stats, 378,928 unique users with completely different dota 2 ranks played on a daily basis on average, with the max topping out at an astonishing 616,000 gamers.
To facilitate such a rapidly growing community, in 2013 Valve introduced a new gaming system that helps Dota 2 players find opponents and teammates based on their skill level – Matchmaking Rating (MMR).
What Does MMR Stand for?
Matchmaking Rating Dota 2 (MMR) is a system designed for determining the skill rating of each player. The main purpose of MMR is to find and pair equal opponents and teammates for fairplay. The system is designed so as not to let more experienced players team up or stand against players of a lower skill level.
All games in Player vs Player mode fall into two categories:
Unranked Match – casual games that in no way affect the player’s MMR progress.
Unranked games are divided into 10 modes:
- All pick
- Ability Draft
- Single Draft
- All Random
- Random Draft
- Captains Mode
- Captains Draft
- Least Played
- All Random Deathmatch
Ranked match is a kind of game that allows players to boost (or decrease) their MMR Dota value, depending on their results.
Ranked matches boil down to three game modes:
- Ranked All Pick – First, players have to vote for the heroes to get banned; then they take turns picking their own heroes that remain on the list.
- Captains Mode – the captains of each team, one after another, choose and ban heroes from the general list.
- Random Draft – a list of 50 heroes is automatically generated and players take turns picking the hero they like the most.
We are keeping up with the most prestigious Dota 2 tournaments and will let you know of all updates and results in our Blog Category Esports.
Roles in Dota 2 MMR
Players in ranked matches can choose a specific role when playing. The system determines which role you will play better, and depending on the selection, you should find yourself on the same level as your opponents. No matter which role you choose, the match results will contribute to the actual MMR value. Initial levels for each role will be calculated based on previous MMR values for the base and support roles as well as analysis of your last hundred games.
s the hero with excellent damage-dealing potential and comfortable attack animation. The main task of Carry is to kill enemies during the fight and destroy enemy structures during the match.
The heroes in the central lane are mostly self-sufficient and need no help with farming. Heroes in the middle lane must have active attack abilities or, at least, manage to deal lots of damage at the very beginning of the game, even without having a large number of artifacts.
Is the one who starts the fight or takes control over enemy heroes. Offlaners are the initiators with a huge health pool or heroes with powerful ultimate abilities.
The fourth position player should be good at pressing the keys and feeling the game both on lanes and in teamfights like no one else. In a teamfight as well as on the line, he acts both as an initiator and as a support and as an attacking hero.
Hard support is the hero who stays on the lane with carry and helps him. Fifth position heroes have the warding map, stack forest camps and help each other during the game.
Support characters help core positions during the game. Generally, support characters help with warding an area, making stacks of forest creeps, healing teammates in fights, and inflicting adverse effects on enemies, in most cases, without significant damage but with strong impact. There are two supports in Dota 2:
The role system in Dota 2 helps to avoid situations when one team meets five Midlanders or five carries, without support players. If you choose a special position, you’ll find the match faster.
How to Play Ranked Matches in Dota 2?
Mastering Dota 2 skills are no cakewalk, even for old hands, since you have to realize the overall game mechanics and specifics of playing styles of different heroes. To say nothing of newcomers to the game, who might get embarrassed by the most common gameplay moments.
In 2017, the game developers added some new eligibility restrictions for those who want to play ranked matches.
How to Unlock Ranked Matches in Dota 2?
- Link your smartphone to your Steam account;
- Have 25 matches played in Unranked mode;
- Once you are done with 25 games, the system randomly defines the number of games (from 0 to 100) you have to play before being allowed to queue for ranked matches.
This helps new Dota 2 players learn the in-game mechanics much better and therefore know how to play various heroes with all their unique abilities and playing styles.
How Does MMR Calibration Work
When ranked matches are already unlocked, the system allows a player to play 10 matches to calibrate his account. After the calibration is through, a player is awarded a medal and his MMR is therefore determined.
Tips for players before getting calibrated:
- Pick only heroes that can cause a lot of damage and kill as many enemies as possible.
- Don’t give yourself a hard time, try choosing easy-to-play heroes like Dragon Knight, Wraith King, Viper, etc.
- Winning a match is a very important factor for getting a high MMR value. So follow your teammates’ lead as well-organized teamwork is the key to success in Dota 2.
Dota 2 Ranked Season Guide
Since November 2017, all players receive a Dota 2 MMR rank medal. All the medals are then divided into 8 different Dota ranks to show a player’s skill level. Every season Valve changes and improves the ranked system; the last update was added in October 2019.
Dota 2 Ranks (Medals)
- Herald - from 0 to - 618 MMR
- Guardian - from 771 to 1390 MMR
- Crusader - from 1535 to 2152 MMR
- Archon - from 2312 to 2923 MMR
- Legend - from 3082 to 3698 MMR
- Ancient - from 3855 to 4470 MMR
- Divine - from 4625 to 5427 MMR
- Immortal - 6000 + MMR
The player’s medals are easily seen in your profile, so everyone can know your exact skill level. Moreover, remember that everyone in the game can also see your outward appearance. So don’t hesitate to buy and sell the best Dota 2 skins on DMarket with no fees involved.
On receiving the Divine 5 stars medal, players appear on the Dota 2 Leaderboards and from then on they can claim the Immortal rank medal, which enjoys in-game animation effects.
How to Rank Up in Dota 2?
Here’s a list of tips to follow on how to improve your Dota 2 ranks:
- As practice makes perfect, try to play more;
- Learn all the abilities and talents of every hero;
- Think twice before making a step in the game and plan all your actions and purchases in advance;
- Never forget to save some money for buyback;
- Use your scan ability to detect any enemy hero in the area beforehand;
- Always keep an eye on the Minimap to watch how far your creeps are while pushing the lane. It helps you prevent an imminent enemy attack;
- A lot of useful insights can be learned from watching professional live streams or eSports tournaments such as the recent DreamLeague Leipzig Major;
- Always show respect for your teammates and try to meet them halfway in any situation. Though the opposing team in Dota 2 will have no mercy on you, there’s always a chance to win even in the most seemingly lose-lose situations.
For all Dota 2 universe fans we’ve prepared a list of the best Dota 2 wallpapers to make you feel comfy even when you’re not in the game.