Red Dead Redemption 2 Review and Juicy Details (Update from 12 November)
Let’s face it, as kids we all watched box-office Western movies and liked them! Ruthless yet charismatic outlaws and bounty hunters who boldly ride their horses while roaming over the prairies of the Wild West.
Trying to make a fortune, these desperadoes have to stand against the rest of the world and fight for their lives. Brave gunslingers get themselves into lethal standoffs with local sheriffs, tribes of Native Americans and relentless Mexican gangs. Ah, those days are gone!
The Western theme in modern entertainment
Is the Western as a genre still popular in today’s entertainment industry? Definitely yes! And it’s been gaining more and more traction in recent years. With box-office hits like Quentin Tarantino’s Oscar-winning The Hateful Eight and sci-fi TV series Westworld, the Western genre has got new lease of life not only in film making but in video games as well.
It was Rockstar Games who made a major contribution by releasing its Red Dead Redemption in 2010. The title turned out to be a real masterstroke on the gaming landscape. This time around, all eyes are on Red Dead Redemption 2, a prequel to the much-lauded hit.
Red Dead Redemption: flashback overview
So why was there so much hoopla about the first title of the series back in 2010? In fact, the game took on the story of its predecessor, Red Dead Revolver of 2004, which was literally the very first installment of the Red Dead franchise. In Red Dead Redemption Rockstar Games ramped up the gameplay and graphics, but the whole story was still set in a Western-themed environment.
What made this game stand out from the crowd in the year when lots of top titles like Mass Effect 2, Fallout: New Vegas, StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood and God of War 3 appeared on the gaming market? The answer is straight and simple: Red Dead Redemption gives us an unparalleled atmosphere of the old American frontier with a huge open world to wander about.
For those who can resist the urge to turn on their consoles and play the favorite game right away, we will proceed with a review of its successor, Red Dead Redemption 2.
Red Dead Redemption 2: trailer takeaways
Starting in 2016, Rockstar Games began to feed game fans with bits of information on the new title’s story and characters. After the official gameplay trailer of 9 August and the announced release date of October 26, 2018, gamers are going to pop open the champagne and have fun with the game.
To help you out with getting information about the game, we’ve parsed all the relevant sources and come up with the following facts:
1) Game plot. The new narrative takes us 12 years earlier than the original title’s events, in old America of 1899. The notorious Van der Linde gang is being chased by local sheriffs, federal agents and greedy bounty hunters who want to see them dead or at least punished. The gang therefore must be very cautious in order not to get caught while robbing banks and trains.
2) Characters. Series fans will be happy to see some familiar characters in the new title such as antagonist Dutch Van der Linde and young John Marston, a protagonist of the first game. This time the central character is Arthur Morgan, a fugitive gunman and a deputy of the gang leader.
Here’s a full list of outlaw gang members who you will interact with during the game:
- Bill Williamson
- Javier Escuella
- Hosea Matthews
- Micah Bell
- Sean McGuire
- Charles Smith
- Sadie Adler
3) Locations. At last, in RDR2 we will get a true open-world environment with many different locations including new settlements and towns. As of now, the confirmed sites are:
- New Hanover
4) Gameplay facts. Besides well designed graphics and hefty stylized settings in Red Dead Redemption 2, which are quite obviously much better than that of the 2010’s installment, the game can brag about some other improvements:
- Horse riding and breaking
- Dynamic day and night shifts
- Camping with gang mates
- Playing card games at leisure
- Hunting down wild animals for profit
- Multiple NPCs with complex behavior patterns
- Improved ‘Dead Eye’ targeting mechanic
- Wide range of weapons like bows, revolvers and many others
All in all, we are in for new enticing gameplay, in which all your actions have vital results. So get ready for your loyalty to the gang to be tested every minute.
5) Multiplayer. Unfortunately, it remains an open question if the game features any other modes than just single-player. Some details revealed may suggest that Rockstar Games will add full-on multiplayer and co-op modes in a short while after the mainstay release.
What’s more, it is rumored that the dev guys may also double down on introducing a trendy Battle Royale format. In the meantime, you can have a look at our blog post on why Battle Royale is so popular nowadays. Either way, let’s just see which way the cat jumps.
6) Supported platforms. Alas, Red Dead Redemption 2 as well as its predecessor, is slated only for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles, with no PC ports so far. To add insult to injury, there is another piece of great news for graphics lovers who have the eighth generation consoles like PlayStation 4 Pro, and, almost certainly, Xbox One X. The title officially allows 4K resolution on PlayStation 4 Pro platforms. It’s where the video game turns into a true cinematic experience!
Red Dead Redemption 2: Welcome release
Hey there, all you Wild West roamers! At last, Red Dead Redemption 2 is out in the wild. It’s high time to dust off your PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles as you clean your guns and load ammunition.
Finally, we’ve got what we really deserve – an open world environment with immersive gameplay, enticing storyline, fleshed-out characters, and much more for us to go crazy about.
Since its recent release on October 26, Red Dead Redemption 2 has already gained much critical acclaim and exceeded most of the gaming benchmarks. According to BusinessWire, the title had the biggest opening weekend across the entertainment industry with $725 million in worldwide retail sell-through.
RDR2: story and gameplay specifics
From now on, Rockstar provides a full scope of details regarding in-game locations, types of weapons, wildlife as well as the gang mates of the main character. My guess is that this article will come in handy for newcomers to the series, so that they can get a general picture of its lore.
On the other hand, I am not going to be a killjoy and spoil the fun for the uninitiated by leaking all the juicy details.
1) Story. You find yourself in America of 1899 acting as Arthur Morgan, an outlaw and a member of the ruthless Van der Linde gang. Gangsters have tough times being chased by relentless lawmen all across the vast Wild West territories.
To make a living, you have to rob trains, steal valuables from the locals, lay an ambush for strangers passing by – in other words, to do everything that villains were supposed to do in adventure stories in your childhood days.
When it comes to survival, Arthur Morgan gets forced to pick sides, either to stay loyal with the gang or to find his own way in the prairies. As you might expect, now the fate of the main character is in your hands.
2) Locations. In Red Dead Redemption 2 you are free to roam about the picturesque landscape across multiple towns and cities. However, the main spots worth visiting boil down to the following:
- Valentine, the Heartlands, NH. A great site for livestock trading that draws crowds of wranglers and crooks of every stripe.
- Annesburg, Roanoke Ridge, NH. A coal-mining centre of that time that provides poor conditions to its citizens.
- Saint Denis, Bayou Nwa, LE. A place where hardened people of all nations and occupations live together trying to make a fortune.
- Mount Hagen, Grizzlies, AM. The only hazardous mountainous path for travelers to pass through and access the riches of the southern lands. Watch out for snowslides!
- Rhodes, Scarlett Meadows, LE. This town is a bone of discord for two opposing families. Find yourself between the devil and the deep blue sea!
- Strawberry, Big Valley, WE. Once a small town, now is becoming a popular tourist spot for wealthy fast livers.
- Lagras, Bayou Nwa, LE. A small fishing village in distant boggy lands, where you can find a guide to help you through the whereabouts.
3) Weapons. In Red Dead Redemption 2 you can fully enjoy a great variety of firearms, ranging from small-distance pistols to repeaters to long-thrust rifles.
Moreover, you can easily customize your weapon of choice with a slew of purely cosmetic skins as well as actionable upgrades. Try your hand at decorating your sidearm and boost its punch and accuracy.
Revolvers and pistols. Fan the hammer like a pro rancher or take down your enemies from horseback with augmented pistols and revolvers.
- Cattleman revolver
- Double-action revolver
- Schofield revolver
- Volcanic pistol
- Semi-automatic pistol
- Mauser pistol
Repeaters. The best inbetweeners when it comes to medium range skirmishes. Equip it as you enter new uncharted territory.
- Carbine repeater
- Lancaster repeater
- Litchfield repeater
Rifles. Ideal weapon for hunting game. Rifles demonstrate high firing efficiency both in close combat and at a distance as long as the proper improvements are applied.
- Varmint rifle
- Springfield rifle
- Bolt-action rifle
Shotguns. Extremely powerful, especially when dealing with several foes. Fall short of high accuracy rates and during long-distance standoffs.
- Sawed-off shotgun
- Double-barreled shotgun
- Pump-action shotgun
- Semi-auto shotgun
- Repeating shotgun
Sniper rifles. Great for hunting wildlife and spotting enemies. Takes much time to reload and requires a scope.
- Rolling block rifle
- Carcano rifle
Here at DMarket we’ll keep our fingers crossed for the upcoming release. It is highly likely that Red Dead Redemption 2 will become the best game of 2018. Subscribe to our blog to get the most recent gaming news and reviews.