Cyberpunk 2077 - Release Date, Gameplay and More
I guess everyone in the gaming world knows CD Projekt Red and loves its ground-breaking Witcher series. Now this Poland-based video game company is going to treat us with an even more challenging title – Cyberpunk 2077.
Since the development process is still underway, we at DMarket are keeping an attentive eye on every bit of information known to the public. To help you out, I’ve arranged all the facts and rumors circulating around the upcoming game in this review.
What Is Cyberpunk 2077?
No more fantasy settings with all that, you know, dungeons-and-dragons stuff! This time around, the creators of Witcher 3 are building up a dystopian urban environment, full of neon lights and futuristic technology. The guys from CDPR were inspired by a table game Cyberpunk 2020 with all its noir atmosphere and worked-out storyline.
One may wonder if that isn’t a surefire way to create a best-selling game. Using a great story to make a game that will fly off the shelves seems to be a piece of cake! However, the reality is more complicated. CD Projekt Red never piggybacks off other people’s success. Instead, they take popular worlds as a background and fill them with their own ideas.
Mike Pondsmith, a creator of the original Cyberpunk universe, shares his excitement about CDPR’s plans to create Cyberpunk 2077
Cyberpunk 2077: Release Date
Another fact that makes CDPR stand out from the crowd – they don’t fool their fans with empty promises as many others do. Given this, there is no certain release date as of yet. In my strong opinion, this only proves the fact that the guys from CD Projekt Red do not need any extra hype and keep their focus on creating a masterpiece game.
What’s more, the developers are by and large against introducing notorious monetization models into their new title. Unlike, say, Activizion and Blizzard games, the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077 will feature no pricey loot boxes, season passes or any other pay-to-win methods that would affect the gameplay.
We have no hidden agenda and are telling the same message to our investors as well as to gamers. Loot boxes are the seeds of evil for the gaming industry,
Marcin Iwiński, Co-Founder of CD Projekt Red.
Cyberpunk 2077: Gameplay Facts and Rumors (Update)
UPD: On August 27, CD Projekt Red rolled out a groundbreaking work-in-progress gameplay video to delight their fans with new juicy insights.
Truth be told, the demo video is really superb, and the walkthrough from a first-person perspective made me feel as if I myself was playing Cyberpunk 2077.
Before I proceed with some game details, just have a look at the 48-minute demo to get the whole picture of what Cyberpunk 2077 is going to look like:
Although we’ve been informed that all the gameplay features showcased in the video may change over the course of further development, there are some findings worth mentioning.
Overall, the new video reveals the very start of the game and guides us through the completion of the first main quest.
So, here’s a wrap-up of what strikes the eye:
- Branchy storyline. If you’re still on the fence regarding Cyberpunk 2077 as a role-playing game or not, just remember your completing immersive non-linear quests of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. The same goes for Cyberpunk 2077 – all along the way, you can either use a hostile approach to take down your enemies or give your diplomatic skills a try instead.
- Character and weapon customization, meaning you can freely pick either a male or a female character, and tailor their appearance, personal traits and even backstory. You can also modify your weapon with additional modules to personalize your style. All these will affect your gameplay, thus proving Cyberpunk 2077 to be a true RPG title.
- Wide skillset range. The game provides a variety of skills that help the protagonist to overcome multiple bottlenecks and rough goings. For instance, the Engineering skill allows to hack and dismantle various mechanical devices and appliances.
New weapon, gear and other cyberware unveiled.
Kiroshi Optical Scanner. A very useful implant that enables zooming, scanning of nearby people and objects to collect general info and identify their weak points.
- Subdermal Weapon Grip. An in-hand fixture for locking various types of weapon, and increasing its range and melee damage.
- Samurai Jacket. A protective body gear that grants basic resistance against physical attacks, high temperatures as well as bio and chem agents.
- Street-Modified Tech Shotgun. A very powerful weapon type capable of shooting through walls and other barriers.
- Ricochet Targeting System. I personally like this module most of all! When augmented into your gear, the system gives you huge benefits by using wall ricochets to aim and kill unexposed enemies at any possible angle
- Revelation Targeting System. Another enhancement that is able to identify your enemies hiding behind walls and other objects. Together with the piercing power of your tech shotgun, it makes a deadly combo and lets you kill criminals on the spot.
- Kang Tao Smart Gun. The chances are that this weapon will be the mother of all firearms in the upcoming game. For better or worse, the smart gun enjoys self-directing sensors enabling bullets to home in on the target. I do hope it won’t spoil the whole gameplay as it feels like almost cheating to use such a weapon.
- Mantis Blades. This is a pair of lethal razors for those players who prefer attacking their enemies at close quarters. Blades deal great melee damage and can help you out when you are short of ammo.
- Corporate Tech Rifle. A high-profile firearm stolen from military stashes with great shooting accuracy. Isn’t it a piece of great luck for a thug from skid row to lay his hands on such a devastating weapon?
Despite dubious rumors, there are some proven facts that can be deduced from the E3 trailer and interviews with game developers.
- Connection between the Witcher and Cyberpunk universes. One of the most widespread rumors around the upcoming game is its concurrence with The Witcher’s lore. It is based on the dialog between Ciri and Geralt.
This news turns out to be fake though! The CEO and game director are quite unanimous that they are going to create a completely new world. So, unfortunately, fans will not come across their favorite characters in the new title.
New engine for the new title. The developers say that the Witcher 3 game engine was 90% reworked to suit Cyberpunk 2077. What’s more, there’ll be no loading screens between locations.
Large playable Night City districts. The CDPR is about to offer us a huge open-world setting with diverse locations: from expensive and recreational to poor industrial zones. For now, six are already known – Heywood, City Center, Pacifica, Santa Domingo, Watson, and Westbrook.
Immersive quests. Patrick Mills, a quest designer at CD Projekt Red, comments that Cyberpunk 2077 is supposed to be RPG featuring only some FPS elements. All the quests are promised to be as enticing as the famous Red Baron’s line of quest from The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.
Well, it’s an RPG. It’s an RPG before it’s a shooter. And it’s really about making a character and inhabiting that character and living in this world and making choices from not just the point of view of that character but also of yourself,
Patrick Mills, Quest Designer of CD Projekt Red.
Single-player mode. There are no proven facts that CDPR will introduce any multiplayer option into the title. The guys are best known for their single-player video games, so let’s hope they won’t fall flat this time with adding unnecessary bells and whistles.
Rockin’ music. Great music themes will create a unique in-game atmosphere. The official trailer features a famous rock band Lizzy Wizzy and the Metadwarves that are most likely to feature in the game.
Cross-platform release. The developers are quite optimistic about next-gen consoles’ performance. Hence, I do believe Marcin Iwiński and want to see not only a PC version of Cyberpunk 2077, but also on Xbox One X and PlayStation 4 Pro.
Is Cyberpunk 2077 going to be RPG?
Yeah, the game will have a first-person view mode and show us a very cruel futuristic city full of violence and kills. I guess the game will include a lot of shooting and hardly suit younger audiences.
Can users customize their characters?
Unlike the Witcher series, here in Cyberpunk 2077 players can create and tailor not only the protagonist’s appearance but also some personal traits that will affect interaction with NPCs.
What are known in-game weapons?
Marcin Wiech, the game developer, modelled and textured two types of firearms, namely Militech Crusher and Police Assault rifle. We’re not sure if it will be their final appearance, but they look stunning. Moreover, weapons will differ in color according to classic RPG rarity classification.
What vehicles can you drive/pilot?
Well, you can surely drive cars and bikes, but flying will be only for automatic flights over certain routes.
Cyberpunk 2077 to Feature Destructible Game Environments, Multiplayer and More
It’s been a while since CD Projekt Red revealed some gameplay details at E3 on their upcoming title Cyberpunk 2077. So far, fans have been treated with a thin trickle of news on how the dev process is going.
To say nothing of the fact that a good half of this news is mere hogwash on gaming websites that can only mislead game fans. Here’s why we factored in only solid facts about Cyberpunk 2077.
First and foremost, we’d like to share some takeaways from the recent interview with CD PR’s designer Miles Tost.
He is sure the game is going to feature an unprecedented level of immersion due to destructible in-game environments. If this insider info is true, most gamers would like to see various game objects deteriorate under the hail of bullets!
We believe that having a world you can interact with and which reacts to your presence is a key part of a good open-world experience,
Miles Tost, Level Designer at CD Projekt Red.
Moreover, all the side quests in Cyberpunk 2077 will no longer look like fool’s errands as is commonplace for most RPG titles. Instead, being intertwined with the main story, the secondary quests are designed to improve gamer experience and give you the feeling that every step counts.
Along with development progress, the management team is worth its salt as well, having already partnered with regional distributors for promoting Cyberpunk 2077 on the local markets.
For instance, Warner Bros Interactive will be responsible for North America, and BANDAI NAMCO will assist with the game’s distribution in European countries. This spells confidence, though the release date is not defined yet and you shouldn’t wait for the game to come any time soon.
Also, CD PR announced its collaboration with Digital Scapes, a Vancouver-based company specializing in AAA multiplayer PC and console game development. These folks are best known for working on such popular series as Dying Light, Warhammer 40,000, Company of Heroes and others.
What does this mean for game fans? Of course, we’re expecting a breathtaking multiplayer mode in the upcoming Cyberpunk 2077! Sounds too good to be true though, at least for now.
We are both excited and honoured to work with CD Projekt Red. We look forward to helping them create the very best video games on the planet,
Marcin Chady, Studio Head, Digital Scapes.
The only thing that may spoil the overall impression is a claim from Andrzej Sapkowski, the author of Witcher, who is demanding $16 million from CD Projekt Red for using his content in game production. Still, let’s hope everything will be settled to the satisfaction of all concerned.